Is the LOOK of Confidence Important to Well-Being?
When confidence is down – whether for moments, days, or years – the “look” makes a difference. It’s important to learn how to project self-confidence, even when it’s not internalized yet.
Why Project Confidence?
There are substantial benefits to appearing self-assured, even when not feeling it.
- Higher paying jobs
- Expanded circle of relationships
- Boosted power of attraction
- Broadened persuasive ability
- Increased respect from others
- Less likely to be a victim of crime
- More likely to be happy and feel in control of your own destiny
What Does Confidence Look Like?
How to create a poised and assertive look:
- Wear appropriate clothing for the situation or venue
- Freely offer a friendly warm smile
- Keep clean hair, skin, nails, and clothing
- Position chin up enough to maintain level eye contact
- Use a decisive stride without shuffling feet
What Does Confidence Act Like?
Looking confident is great, but what does behavior look like?
- Give a firm handshake and energetic greeting
- Use good manners
- Speak well, slowly, clearly
- Listen and ask questions
- Display self-control
- Offer genuine compliments
- Welcome new experiences
How to Really Be Confident?
At some point, confidence must be owned. Don’t dismiss the mindset of “Fake it until you make it.” Nonetheless, be proactive until confidence is real.
- Find role models (public figures or confident friends) to imitate
- Get out of the comfort zone and try new things
- Reinvent yourself uniquely
- Keep a positive mindset by practicing gratitude
- Associate with happy and confident people
Share your thoughts in the comment box below…
Have you had opportunities in life because you appeared more confident than you felt?
Do you have other suggestions to share?
Remember that you’re never too old to make new friends. Here are 8 ways to make new friends.