It’s February – the month of love – for TWO reasons this year!
Valentine’s Day is February 14th and Leap Day is February 29th!
With Valentine’s Day and Leap Day in one month, there are TWICE the reasons to add more love to your life!
You Don’t Really Need an Excuse to Give Gifts
Of course, gifts of love, kindness, and generosity are appreciated by our friends and family any day of the year!
However, in order to make this Valentine’s Day special, consider a hand-written card or anything especially considerate or meaningful to your love. And don’t forget to secure restaurant reservations for Valentine’s Day, because it’s a busy night for tables for two!
Propose a Date on Leap Day!
Leap Day was once a traditional day for women to propose marriage to their sweethearts, but men and women alike comfortably propose marriage today. SO, instead of a marriage proposal, muster up the nerve to ask someone for a date instead!
Safety Tips when Returning to Dating, or when Dating Someone New
- If you’re dating someone new:
- Drive yourself to your meeting place to make for easy exiting if necessary
- Meet in public and stay in public
- Tell a friend or family member about your plan
- Keep your cell phone charged and readily available
- Stay alert and be wary of a date encouraging too many alcoholic beverages
- Don’t leave your phone, purse, wallet, or any personal information at the table or bar while using the restroom
- Check out your new friend online. Google their name to see what comes up. Keep in mind that divorces are easy to confirm by searching domestic relations courts online
- Know your boundaries in advance of what you want in a relationship so you can identify red flags and dealbreakers quickly (e.g., are you comfortable dating long distance? Are you comfortable dating someone whose divorce is not finished?)
- End your date quickly if you’re feeling uncomfortable and don’t go to your car alone. Ask an employee to walk you to your car
Can’t Find Anyone Desirable?
What if you are willing to date but you don’t know someone you want to ask out for a date?
February is a Month for Love Online, Too
Online dating is available and commonly used by people of all ages, with specialty dating sites for specific ages and preferences. Regardless of whether you’re single, widowed, divorced, or a swinger, you may want to give it a try this year!
Before you try online dating, be smart. Get informed and feel knowledgeable. You can find tips for avoiding romance scams on the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) website.
Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comment box below…
Will you do something special for your love this month?
Do you have a Leap Year story to tell?
Still think you’re too old to make new friends, read this article filled with excuse-busters!