You may be living alone for the first time in a long time or you may be living alone for the first time EVER.
Either way, your mindset is going to make a difference in how much you enjoy your single life.
If you’ve been going down the wrong path lately, feeling sorry for yourself and allowing yourself to feel isolated, it’s time for an attitude adjustment. Here goes!
49 Reasons to Appreciate Living Alone
- Leave your bed unmade any day you want
- Wash dishes once a day if it doesn’t bother you
- Keep the bedside light on as late as you want
- Turn on the light or TV in the middle of the night when you can’t sleep
- Scent your entire home with your favorite essential oils
- Decorate each room as you always wanted
- Have a gerbil, guinea pig, cat, dog or whatever you want
- Have MORE than one pet if you want
- Keep tomorrrow’s clothes on the other side of the bed while you sleep
- Eat dessert instead of dinner once in a while
- Adjust the thermostat as much as you want
- Nap as long as you want when you want without being disturbed
- Watch favorite TV shows anytime you want
- Turn up the TV volume as loud as you want
- Enjoy your phone calls knowing nobody else is listening
- Buy yourself flowers because you know you are special
- Know that if the phone rings, it’s for you
- You don’t have to worry about bathroom odor – from yourself or someone else
- Swear when you want
- Leave your diary out in the open
- Eat when you are hungry, not because it’s “dinner time”
- Leftovers are all for you tomorrow
- Gobble down a slice of pizza for breakfast if you have a yen for it
- The shower is always available for your turn
- And there’s always enough hot water for you
- Have as many shoes as there’s room for
- Vacuum when you want without disturbing someone
- Leave a book open to the page you were reading and it will still be like that later
- Toilet paper lasts longer
- Only YOUR alarm wakes you in the morning
- You can decide which flowers look good on the table
- Plant your favorite flowers or veggies
- The decision is yours – throw out or save?
- Income taxes are simplified
- Leave your clothes on the floor until later
- Wear clothes two days in a row without anyone commenting
- Eat the whole popcorn
- Pick whatever TV station you want
- Decide which guests you really want to entertain
- Hire the younger, good looking helpers
- It’s only your own hair in the sink or shower now
- You don’t have to wish for silence
- Be artistic and creative without anyone critiquing
- No one will move your stuff
- Tools are exactly where you left them
- The spare bedroom is whatever you want it to be
- Park in the middle of the 2-car driveway or garage
- Decide for yourself whether or not a home repair or remodel is do-able
- You always get the hammock
Grieving is natural and takes time. This article is not meant to minimize the seriousness of losing one’s partner to divorce, illness, or death.
However, gratitude is a great healer.
So, if you’re living alone for the first time, print this list and refer to it whenever you’re lacking gratitude and need to get yourself out of a funk. You can’t be grateful and sad at the same time!
There are a lot of myths about living alone, but maybe YOU can (even temporarily) enjoy living alone for the first time! Moreover, remember that you’re never too old to make new friends!
Please leave your comments below!
Can you find some appreciation in living alone?
This article was first published August 30, 2019.
3 thoughts on “Aging Gracefully While Living Alone for the First Time”
Wonderful suggestions, Kathryn. And I’ll add one more:
You can hop in your car and go visit anyone you miss and enjoy whenever you want.
Everyday can be a special day.
Zhou always have control of the remote.
You can watch sappy movies all day if you want.
you can watch your favorite show marathon
You can leave your puzzle on the table until it is finished.
I could go on and on, thanks for the idea.
Glad you can find the good!! Thank you!
Comments are closed.