Written by Kathryn Eyring
Have you heard (or experienced) the following?
“After I retired, I realized I wouldn’t see my work friends very often anymore. Suddenly, I realized I needed to find a social circle of new friends to enjoy. But how was I going to find new friends at this age?”
You’re Not Alone
Many people feel they’re too old for new friends but anyone can find new friendships. Sometimes, you have to get out of the comfort zone and make some additional effort to make it happen.
8 Ways to Make New Friends
These 8 suggestions may help you find new acquaintances that eventually become your next best friends:
- In order to boost your confidence, keep in mind that other adults might be lonely or even shy, which both give you good reason to take the initiative.
- Check out your local newspaper for any meetings, events or gatherings that would offer you like-minded pals.
- Hear about a new movie? Call someone new to go with you this week. Maybe someone younger or older!
- Look for volunteer opportunities to help a cause that you believe in. Bonus: It feels good to be a do-gooder!
- Learn something new with someone new. Libraries have tremendous opportunities for programs and presentations. You’ll soon become a great conversation starter with new and interesting topics!
- Call your local Council on Aging to see if they have luncheons and group activities you can attend.
- Join a gym! Go to dancing lessons! Try pickleball! Any sport or activity will put you in the proximity of other people.
- Go to a hobby store to sign up for classes. You can be creative while meeting new people at the same time!
Remember that isolation is dangerous, but friends are fun!
Furthermore, your new friends don’t have to be just like you; you can enjoy people very different from you, too!
Want a quick example (4-minute view)? Watch Ann tell how she mastered new friends after moving to her new home after retirement — where she didn’t know anyone!
Please share YOUR ideas for making new friends in the comments box below…
Do you make an effort to be around friends of all ages?