What do YOU do with “toxic” friends or family?
If you aren’t dealing with someone toxic right now, you probably have in the past and likely will again.
You deserve supportive and fun people in your life. But what happens when someone you know becomes a drain on your emotions and patience? When every conversation brings your energy to a low and feelings of low self-confidence surface?
You can’t always pick who you hang around.
You can’t pick your mother-in-law or son’s girlfriend, for example. Or your husband’s best friend. A co-worker. A next-door neighbor.
Relationships can sometimes change through jealousy, superiority in religious or political views, addiction problems, or a person’s ethical decline. Each conversation can bring you to feelings of sadness, guilt, frustration, or grief.
Did this just remind you of someone you know?
Here are 5 things to keep in mind when you know in advance you’ll have to engage with your toxic friends or family.
- Set a time limit for yourself in advance. Have a place to go and a good reason to get out on time. “Sorry, I have an exercise class that starts in an hour.”
- Go directly to a place you can recover, whether it’s a relaxing bath, a funny movie, or that exercise class.
- Being polite and respectful doesn’t mean you have to agree. Smile and say, “Well, I guess this is one place we’ll have to agree to disagree.” Then, continue to stand there and SMILE.
- Remember that you’re not responsible for anyone else’s problems. We all have our own challenges and it’s up to each of us to get our s*** together!
- Don’t waste time trying to impress. You can’t rationalize with an irrational person and you won’t get a compliment from someone who has a jealous nature. Instead, keep a journal of the good things people say to you in person, in cards, or in emails, and impress yourself when you realize that you are “all that” and more!
Now don’t be shy. We’ve all dealt with these people
What other suggestions might YOU have for dealing with toxic people?
Share with us in the comment box below.