This is how to set your healthy lifestyle goals for the next 6 weeks!
Consider the following examples for lifestyle changes you could use for your goal or create your own:
- I am losing _____ pounds
- I am eating _____ 5 vegetables a day
- I am exercising _____ x week
- I am drinking _____ ounces of water daily
- I am abstaining from alcohol (or chocolate, gluten, sugar, processed foods, etc.)
- I am meditating for _____ minutes daily
The goals are written in a positive “I am” statement in the present tense.
I’ve adapted Brian Tracy’s systematic problem-solving approach to making lifestyle changes for this wellness program.
Steps for Creating Lifestyle Changes
Step One: Write down a clearly defined healthy goal.
Example: I am losing _____ pounds in the next 6 weeks.
Step Two: What else is the problem?
- What else is the problem?
- I’m not good at portion control.
- I probably drink too much alcohol.
- I eat too much on the weekends.
- I eat too much when I travel.
- I don’t exercise enough.
- I don’t drink enough water.
- I don’t eat enough vegetables
Step Three: What else is the solution?
Write your solution and then write other solutions
Example: I will lose _____ pounds by eating smaller portions.
What else is the solution?
- Find an app that defines proper portions and I will track my food.
- Drink less alcohol or none at all.
- Identify weekend downfalls and make a better plan.
- Make new habits when traveling. (Drink water before a meal, eat more vegetables and salads, or drink less alcohol).
- Find an exercise I can commit to for 6 weeks.
- Commit to drinking _____ ounces of water daily.
- Eat 5 vegetables a day.
Step Four: Narrow down the solutions.
With many changes that contribute to weight loss, pick which ones to focus on for 6 weeks.
I am using my fitness app to help me define proper portions and I am drinking 75 ounces of water daily. I’m also going to go to the gym for strength training 3 times weekly.
Step Five: How will you measure success?
Will you keep a journal, a spreadsheet, a fitness tracker? What will you precisely measure?
- Use a journal for tracking water and strength training.
- Fill up measured containers of water and drink it all by bedtime.
- Keep water at my desk where I work.
- Drink a full glass of water 15 – 20 minutes before a snack or meal.
- Use a 3-day workout plan and note strength gains in my journal.
Step Six: YOUR accountability starts here!
Write your commitment and goal in the comment section below!
Step Seven: Deadline – 6 weeks starting NOW!
Step Eight: Develop your Plan B
Read the weekly articles for this challenge. Keep accountable through the comment section. Keep learning and adjusting as you need to. Remember that you can use different solutions!
REMEMBER that you can go back to old lifestyle habits after 6 weeks if you want!
By the way, here’s a good formula for water intake: take your goal weight, divide in ½ and drink those ounces. If you want to weigh 180 pounds, commit to drinking 90 ounces of water daily.) Click here for more info on drinking more water!
Nonetheless, this program will help you achieve a healthy lifestyle goal in a DOABLE way.
YOU CAN DO THIS!
It’s time to share YOUR goal in the comment box below!
Do YOU need help defining your goal? Just say so when you comment so I can coach you in my Reply!