Why Positive Thinking When You Live Alone?
It Improves Life!
As many grow older, it is more of a reality that they find themselves living alone. Though it might be nice to have the freedom to come and go as you please or to not have to answer to someone, living alone has unseen disadvantages that can creep up on you when not expecting it. The good news is that staying positive helps get you through the day.
When You Live Alone, You Are Challenged With:
- Loneliness – there is no one to talk to or bring you up when you are down
- Boredom – there is no one to interact with
- Lack of motivation – there is no reason to clean or care for yourself
- Paranoia – there is no one to help with your fear
Positive thinking is your friend.
Benefits Of Positive Thinking:
- Improved health – negative thoughts affect the immune system
- Less stress – negative thoughts build up worry and can play havoc with health
- More focused – this helps solve the problems that you might be facing
- Better relationships – our family and friends are there for us even if they are not living with us
How To Be A Positive Thinker
Some might say that being a positive thinker is easier said than done, but you can change yourself to a positive thinker. The mind is a muscle just like in your arms and legs. It can be conditioned to be stronger and work for you. Training your mind to focus on the good instead of the bad helps overcome many life challenges. To be a positive thinker:
- Focus on the good, the blessings – make a list of what you are grateful for
- Focus on solutions, not the problem – it is easy to just look at what is going wrong and feeling there is nothing that can be done
- Take care of yourself – when you feel good, you think positively
- Find positive outlets – avoid bars and nightclubs. Go places that are peaceful or allows you to do something you enjoy
- Surround yourself with like minds – healthy thinkers will lift you up and not let you down
It will take time to get to the positive side of thought. Just like exercising the body, you need to go to the gym in a sense and work out. The important factor is to keep at it. It does get easier, and it does work.
Final Thoughts About Positive Thinking
When living alone, it is normal to feel like the world getting smaller and the walls drawing in closer. It is normal to think that nothing will get better, and everything will go wrong. Just remember that positive thinking is your companion and positive thinking will help you push back the darkness and live a better life.
Bio: Denise McKee writes HR. She is the founder of Hirewritings and specializes in copywriting for companies marketing to the HR/Staffing industry. When not writing about the latest HR trend on her blog, she’s hiking a trail or sitting with a friend, a glass of wine in one hand while intently listening to the stories being told.
Please share your thoughts in the comment box below…
Which is your favorite tip above for positive thinking if you live alone?
Have you made positive thinking YOUR friend?
Want more reasons to appreciate living alone? READ Aging Gracefully While Living Alone for the First Time
2 thoughts on “Positive Thinking When You Live Alone”
Very, very good advice. I agree with it 100%. Another help, if one lives alone, is to begin a creative activity. It’s a great way to make new friends and scientists say that it keeps you healthier and helps you live longer, My book ‘Art & Creaky Bones’ explores how and why it’s a great aid to anyone who is lonely to take up a creative pastime that will make their life fuller. it could be painting or singing or dancing or anything that gives you pleasure and takes your mind off being alone.
I was a caregiver for 15 years until my husband died of Parkinson”s a few months ago. It made this subject feel almost urgent to me and then the book received 6 awards for Aging, Inspiration and Art, so it seems that many other people are considering activities that can bring them joy.
Excellent advice. As someone who has been living alone for four years, I can say that having a positive attitude is the single most important thing you can do to assure a happy, productive life. And the really good news is that you can decide if you want to be positive and make it happen.
Comments are closed.